WordPress.org vs. WordPress.com
One often gets confused between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. If you are confused about which one to choose for blogging, then here is the complete description and critical difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.org or real WordPress is an open-source and free content management system (CMS). To create a website on WordPress.org, you need to purchase a domain name and hosting, and then you are all set to go. The difference between is who the host of your site is. With WordPress.org, you are the owner of the hosting services or self-hosted. Here you will have to download the free WordPress software and install it into your web browser.
Why choose WordPress.org?
If you are working from home or trying to expand your business, creating a professional website is the first step towards online recognition. As an office for your business, your site can showcase your skills and services, provide details of your company, experience, and give potential customers a convenient way to reach out to your organization. In order to achieve a good web design, you can hire a WordPress Design Company India in order to have the edge over companies in your industry.
Additionally, you can also provide work to people looking for a job from home. It is an additional service that you can sell to your customers. You don’t need to spend a fortune getting a website designed for your business; WordPress is the robust platform providing many companies in the world with websites at affordable prices. It is free to install and simplifies the process of web designing, as it is one of the most flexible platforms out in the market for the content management system (CMS). What are the advantages associated with choosing WordPress?
- As hosting is yours, so is the data is your website. You are in full control of your site and do or publish whatever you want (nothing illegal).
- You can use free as well as paid themes and plugins for your website.
- You can also customize your website according to your needs
- Also, you can make money from the WordPress site.
- Other than blogging, you can also create different types of websites like an eCommerce store, membership website, portfolio, etc.
- Being the most versatile platform it offers people with thousands of themes, templates, and plugins used while designing a website on the WordPress platform. You can scale up your business with these themes and plugins.
- Themes are front-end of a site that people see on the visual front and services as a site’s foundation, while plugins help to add various functions to it. These are essential aspects of WordPress that make it stand out from the other CMS with its easy to use feature and interface.
- With the help of WordPress, you can design various websites, including eCommerce, membership site, professional business website, portfolio, photography, and more. It’s been 15 years since this platform is launched back in 2003, over the time it has developed far more than a blogging site.
Cons of using WordPress.org-
- Like all websites, your WP site will also require hosting. It might costs you some bucks.
- You are responsible for the software updates.
- You are in charge of creating a backup of your site and data.
The cost of using WordPress.org depends upon what type of website you are making and also if you are using free or paid themes and plugins. It depends on your budget.
In WordPress.com, hosting is provided by WordPress only. You only have to buy a membership plan which is free and paid. Here you don’t have to download any software or manage a web server. You only have to make an account on WordPress.com. Here you can easily set up a blogging website with no cost and technical knowledge. You can create a blogging site on this CMS.
Why choose WordPress.com?
WordPress.com platform is an excellent choice for bloggers and those starting a blog for no monetary gains. Here are some of its pros-
- It’s free for up to 3GB of space, but after that, you will have to switch to a paid plan for more space and features.
- No updates and backup headaches, suitable for those who want a secure website for their blogs.
Cons of using WordPress.com-
- Since WordPress.com hosts it, you are not the owner of your website. It means they can remove your content or delete your site anytime they want if you violate their terms or condition.
- They can place adds on your blogs, and you won’t get any gains from it.
- You cannot upload custom themes and plugins. For the free user, there are limited themes that they can use.
- Your website will be displayed by WordPress.com link, which will only be removed when you change to the Business plan.
- There will be plenty of ads on your website as you are not its owner. Also, you are not allowed to sell ads on WordPress.com.
You are restricted to the stats provided by them.
Which one is better?
If you don’t care much about making money from your blogging website, then you should go with the free WordPress.com.
If you want to make money from your site, then go for the self-hosted WordPress.org. Here you can have control of your blog and business.