One often gets confused between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. If you are confused about which one to choose for blogging, then here is the complete description and key difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
WordPress.org or the real WordPress is an open source and free content management system (CMS). To create a website on WordPress.org, you need to purchase domain name and hosting and then you are all set to go. The major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is who is hosting your site. With WordPress.org, you are the owner of the hosting services or self-hosted. Here you will have to download the free WordPress software and install it into your web browser. It is free as
Why choose WordPress.org?
As hosting is yours so is the data is your website. You are in full control of your site and do or publish whatever you want (nothing illegal).
- You can use free as well as paid themes and plugins for your website.
- You can also customise your website according to your needs
- Also you can make money from the WordPress site.
- Other than blogging you can also create other types of websites like eCommerce store, membership website, portfolio, etc.
The cost of using WordPress.org depends upon what type of website you are making and also if you are using free or paid themes and plugins. It depends on your budget.
In WordPress.com, hosting is provided by WordPress only. You only have to buy a membership plan which is free and paid. Here you don’t have to download any software or manage a web server. You only have to make an account on WordPress.com. Here you can easily set up a blogging website with no cost and technical knowledge. You can create a blogging site in less than 5 minute.
Why choose WordPress.com?
WordPress.com platform is a good choice for bloggers and those starting a blog for no monetary gains.
- It’s free for up to 3GB of space but after that you will have to switch to a paid plan for more space and features.
- No updates and backup headaches, good for those who wants an easy going website for their blogs.
Cons of using WordPress.com-
Since it is hosted by WordPress.com, you are not the owner of your website. It means they can remove your content or delete your site anytime they want if you violate their terms or condition.
- They can place adds on your blogs and you won’t get any gains from it.
- You cannot upload custom themes and plugins. For free user there are limited themes that they can use.
- Your website will be displayed by WordPress.com link which will only be removed when you change to Business plan.
“Which one is better?
If you don’t care much about making money from your blogging website, then you should go with the free WordPress.com.
If you want to make money from your site, then go for the self-hosted WordPress.org. Here you can have control of your blog and business.!”