How to make website unique with parallax?
In web designing, latest trend of Parallax Scrolling is in rage these days. It is the most popular effect that is adopted by web developers and designers for designing the website themes. Now you might be wondering what is Parallax Scrolling. Let us take a quick look at an overview of Parallax Scrolling and how you can create a simple parallax effect?
What is Parallax Scrolling?
Parallax scrolling is an approach used in computer graphics designing where background images move independently but more slowly than the foreground images creating a beautiful 3D illusion of depth and immersion that gives exquisite visual experience to all the viewers and creates the seamless user experience. It gives pretence of 3D effect to the 2D plane. For any viewer, it adds more fun for them as they feel more engaged with your website and will keep scrolling down to read the content of your site.
You might have noticed websites with parallax effect – when you scroll down the website, the background image is fixed and the content on the front is scrolling at a different pace.
To understand this better here is the demo of a website with parallax scrolling
Demo of the website without parallax scrolling
Now you might have gotten the idea of what exactly parallax scrolling is and why it is so popular among web developers.
Example on how to create a simple parallax scrolling effect-
1. Use a container element to add a background image to the website. Also, specify the height of the image.
2. Now to create an actual parallax effect specify background property as fixed which will fix the background image. background-attachment: fixed;
3. Here are other background property to complete a parallax effect
Parallax can be of various types, it depends on how you implement them.
- Layer Parallax – It is the effect in which different layers scroll at a different pace on the web page.
- Repeat Pattern – In this effect scrolling occurs over the repeated background pattern
- Raster Parallax- In this effect you can give an illusion of movement when the cursor hovers over the image with parallax effect
If you are designing a website in WordPress then it offers you a lot of plugins that can be used to create parallax effects. Plugins are also available with the paid theme that can be used to move elements as you want too.
Here are the things to keep in mind before using Parallax Scrolling:
- It increases the load time of the website – People will abandon your website if it is taking too long to open. You will lose potential customers no matter how beautifully designed your website is. Parallax is an fancy eye candy for viewers and is not known for its speed. By adding more than necessary effects, you will be scarifying the loading time of a website.
- It may not be mobile friendly – It is the most important note to keep in mind before using Parallax scrolling is that it does not always work on mobile devices. With the help of CSS media queries, you can turn this effect off on mobile devices. This is one of the disadvantages of Parallax Scrolling.